Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I drove home..I parked the car and when I went..tranmission…

I drove home with no...
I drove home with no difficulty of any kind. I parked the car and when I went out to restaert the car it would not start. Instead a diplsy said tranmission fault. what does this mean
9/18/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Can you tell me if the P is lite up on the shifter and will the shifter come out of park? What is the red theft warning light on the console doing when you turn the key to the ON postion?

The parking light is lit

The shifter will not shift from the park position

The red theft light if that the (ABS) is lit and the engine display is lit

I dont know if abs is the theft ?

Ok first check to make sure that the inertia switch did not trip. This is located behind the passenger side kick panel. There is a cutout in the panel so you can try depressing the top of the switch to reset it if it popped up. Then just turn off the ignition for a second and try to start it. If that does not work then you can also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes. Take a good look at the battery as they usually crack and leak on the negative post.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Richard,

I have reset the car , by undoing the neg. cable form the battery. But the engine light remained on do I need to take the car in or can I reset it myself.

Since the ewngine light is on you will need to have the codes read and cleared with a scan tool. I recommend that you go to your local pepboys or autozone as they usually do this at no charge. Once oyou hve the code numbers let me know what they are.
Richard, Jaguar Technician