Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1999 Jaguar XJR: teh driver side..warmed..idling..rpms

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Jaguar...
I have a 1999 Jaguar XJR with 75,000 miles. I recently have noticed a rather annoying clunkering under the valve cover on teh driver side ONLY once the car has warmed and ONLY when it is idling. Once I get the rpms near 1000, the clunkering or tapping goes away. Now in saying that, a JAG tech at the dealer said that it is most likely my timining tensioners as this wa a problem in that year jag because that part was plastic. From what I undersand taht clunkering would be there when the car was cold as well , but is not present in my case only when the care gets warm after 10 minutes or so. Does this diagnosis by the JAG tech over the phone sound correct? The car has not lost any power what so all. I do notice some greyish smoke only upon starting. If it is the tensioners is it advisable to change the guides and chains as well?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
9/6/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

It may be the timing chain tensioners. They usually will be louder on a cold start and eventually quiet down. If you are replacing the tensioners then I do recommend replacing the chains and guides. The problem you may also have is a sticking bucket in the head. The bucket is the part that the cam lobe pushes down on to open the valve.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
The noise goes away as soon a s I step on the gas or "give it gas." with all that being said, is it possible that those tensioners can do it when warm as well? How complicated is it to repair a sticking bucket? and can the car be driven like that? I dont notice any differnt in the power... .
Yes it stick can eb the tensioners if they are cracked. Repairing a sticking bucket is not that easy of a job as the cams will need to be removed and the buckets removed to clean and lube them. With the timing chain or bucket repair there are special tools needed to set the crank and cams in the locked postion.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Well, Im trying to figure out why it goes away when the throttle is pressed. According to the mechanic the reason the noise stops is because when you revv the engine the timing chain tightens up thus preventing the chain from making the clanking noise because it is more taught. Is there an additive I can add to lube the buckets so they dont have to be removed. Still you havent explained why they are clanking only upon a 5 minute warm up.

Thanks,

Gerrard

Based on your description it does sound like the timing chain tensioners. The noise goes away due to the increase in oil pressure to the tensioner causing it totighen up.