Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2003 XJ8: Gearbox Fault so I took it to a shop..town..new transmission…

Customer Question
I have A 2003 XJ8,    It...
I have A 2003 XJ8,    It kept telling me Gearbox Fault so I took it to a shop after they kept it two weeks charged me 1200.00 and said it was fixed. so It wasn,t and so I sent It to a Jaguar Dealer He is out of town so I had to pay for it to be taken there and they worked on it said it was ok not so the bill was 500.00. They tell me now they will have to put a new transmission in 5000.00. I am A older women and cannot trade the car. Can you tell me anything to help me? Would truly thank you.    I really need my car, and am afraid to drive it.
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
8/29/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Can you look to see what what was done at the first shop and then at the dealer? Why do they say you now need a transmission? How many miles on your vehicle?

20,000 miles on car drive in town once a week. Icannot find the invoice. He checked the electrical wiring put in a new battery took it too a transmission and they took out the transmission said it was all right. this was ayear ago.
Ok usually the gearbox fault light comes on for a mechanical or electronic failure in the transmission. When the light comes on there should be stored codes that I will need. If you do infact need a transmission you can do the job for much less. Try contacting coventrywest.com, jagbits.com, welshent.com, motorcarsltd.com, europeantransmissions.com, or europeanexchange.com.
Richard, Jaguar Technician