Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1998 XK8: engage..reverse..a shifter linkage problem

Customer Question
I just purchased a used...
I just purchased a used Jaguar 1998 XK8. The car sometimes will not engage in reverse and park. Is this a shifter linkage problem or something more serious?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/29/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

What do you mean by not engaging in reverse and park? Is the P and R lite up when in those gears? Have any warning messages come on the cluster?

I have not picked up the car yet but the only info was that the car has to be shifted from reverse back to park to engage sometimes and vice versa. it has 104K miles on it with no major repairs noted
Ok the usuall cause of this problem is either a loosen shifter mechanism or cable from the shidter to the transmission.
Are both of those fairly easy fixes?
If it's a cable adjustment it is but if the shifter or cable needs to be replaced it can be a problem. I aslo have seen faulty trans rotory switches cause this as well but based on your description it sounds more like a shifter or cable.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Thanks Richard! any pointers if I have to replace it?

First try adjusting the cable. With the console removed loosen and or tighen the cable nuts to move the cable. Click on the link for the steps needed to remove the console. May times that black shifter bezel breaks.

Console