Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

S Type: hi richard, My 2003 jag..has been running great..manual shift…

Hi Richard, My 2003 Jag 4.2...
Hi Richard,

My 2003 Jag 4.2 S Type has been running great. I usually just use "D" mode.

Yesterday, I tried the manual shift side of the gate and it did not shift properly. Did not seem to want to upshift properly.

It almost seemed that it is because I pulled back the shifter beyond the "detent" of the next gear if you know what I mean.

Also, the red light for Sport mode would not go on until I stopped the car, turned it off, restarted and then pushed Sport mode, then the red light came on.

Today, the Sport mode light stays off and when I put the shifter into the manual gate, the "D" for drive light stays on and manual mode wont work at all, none of the numbers illuminate.

I tried stopping, turning off the car and restarting, that did not help.

In "D" mode it works absolutely just fine, shifts fine, no problem.

Is there a owner reset or other fix I can try, or does my Jag dealer need to see the car?

Thanks as always for your great help.

Charles Weil
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/15/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello Charles.

What you can try to do is disconnect the negatibe battery terminal cable for 10 minutes which should reset everything. You may have a problem with the J gate shifter or possibly a cable adjustment. Try the reset first.

Richard,

I have to run to get the right tool to disconnect the neg. terminal.

If that does not work, please provide the next steps that I as a one-armed poor mechanic with few tools could take, so we don't have to keep going back and forth.

If, assuming, the battery terminal disconnect does not work, does it have to see the Jag dealer?

Thanks,

Charles

OK, I unhooked the neg terminal waited 15 minutes, reconnected.

While stationery, the Sport light came on and the 2,3,4 came on in the j gate.

When I began the test drive, I used the j gate and it did not upshift when I moved the shifter, it went to "D" illuminated and then Sport light nor the j gate lights would illuminate.

I have disconnected the neg terminal again and will reconnect in 10 to 15 minutes.

Whats next, Dr.?

Sounds like ther eis a problem with the shifter. If the TCM (transmission control module) sees a bad signal then it will inhibit manual shifting and sport mode as a default. A Jag scan tool will ne needed to check this.
Richard, Jaguar Technician