Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2003 Jaguar S-type: 3.0 have..4th gear..reverse..neutral..occurs…

What kind of transmission does...
What kind of transmission does a 2003 Jaguar S-type 3.0 have? What goes wrong with them when they get hung up in 3rd or 4th gear but will still have reverse and neutral working? Then a loud popping noise occurs and then the transmission will upshift but in a harsh and jerky manner. Then after a short drive, it will up shift normally but has an engine pulsing RPM with a normal wheel speed and a grating noise with each pulse in fourth and fifth gears.

Thank you for your time.
7/19/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The transmission in your vehicle is a ZF 6 speed which is a German transmission also used in BMW, Mercedes Benz and Land Rover. The noise and harsh shifting is usually caused by the software in the transmission control module that needs to be reprogrammed. For the surge problem that is the torque converter. Before replacing the converter the software will need that programming but what's called a coded access programming that the dealer needs to do.

The shift quadrant ( left side) only shows 2-3-4-5. I know first is not accessible, but where is 6th gear? Does it automatically engage when you shift to the right side "D"?
Yes that is correct. When in D it will shift into sixth gear unless in sport mode. Also the transmission will adapt to your driving style. If you are an aggressive driver always in sport mode I have seen the TCM actually delete sixth which will also be fixed with the software reprogramming.
Richard, Jaguar Technician