Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

95 xjs: /4-0 litre, stalls..engine light come..runs fine…

Customer Question
my 95 xjs w/4-0 litre...
my 95 xjs w/4-0 litre, stalls out then the transmission lock light and the engine light come on. It has been back to the shop 3 times for the same problem. the codes are generic and when reset , it runs fine...until i drive it home. any ideas?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/21/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When it stalls does the engine start right back up? When does the engine usually stall? Do you know what the fault codes were?

yes the motor starts right back up but runs poorly, stumbling at idle and the transmission is locked into third gear making it very difficult to drive. The engine stalls out coming to a stop when in this condition.the latest code stored was PO727 ECM to TCM comm failure

e
Ok your problem is usually caused by a faulty crank sensor. The sensor is located in the front of the engine next to the crank pulley.
one thing i forgot to mention is when i took it in for the 90k service they overfilled the transmission and i blew about 3 to 4 quarts out the overflow. then took it back. I drove it on vacation about 2000 miles. it stumbled every once in a while and three days after being home is when the lights came on and problems got worse. do you think there is any connection?
It is possible if the transmission is low on fluid it can cause the torque converter to stay engaged when coming to a stop. This can also be your problem so the trans fluid along with the crank sensor will need to be checked.
the fluid level is correct, the shop overfilled it by 5 quarts. and it was driven about 30 miles like that before i realized the smell and smoke
It still may be a problem with the converter but with your symptom and that code it's usually a crank sensor.
Richard, Jaguar Technician