Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2001 Jaguar s-Type drive gear wont engage. Reverse works gears(2,3,4)

Customer Question
2001 Jaguar s-Type drive gear won't...
2001 Jaguar s-Type
drive gear won't engage.
Reverse works
gears(2,3,4) causes car to jumps and then stalls.

Always had problems with acceleration when wheather was hot
(shifting automatically between lower gears).
Not shure if this is connected to the problem or an electrical issue.
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/13/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Has the gearbox fault warning message come on or has the check engine light come on? So even using the manual side of the shifter the vehicle still will not move forward? V6 or V8 engine?

V6
There has been no warning indicators

traditionally putting the car in drive has been sluggish.
when I put it to the manual side it lunges forward and then stalls.
Sounds like a mechanical problem in the transmission like a sticking valve in the valve body. You can go to a shop that has experience with transmissions like a trans shop or dealer. The transmission in your S Type is actually a Ford transmission so the repair cost would not be as much as a Jag trans. A Jasper reman may be a good option for you as it's about $2800.00 and has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. The labor to rplace the transmission is about 7 hours.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Thanks for the help.
I had it picked up yesterday and of course drive was funtional.
My gut is that there is an electronic issue surrounding the transmission.
As you had indicated there was no electronic warnings.

I'll have them check it out.

Thanks for you help.
Your welcome. Thanks for the accept, bonus and for using justanswer.com.