Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 Jaguar X-type: 2 remote keys with it and have programmed them…

I just bought a 2004...
I just bought a 2004 Jaguar X-type. I received 2 remote keys with it and have programmed them successfully more than one time.   The problem is that the keys do not work all the time. Maybe 50% of the time.   Both remotes seem to behave the same. Is there anything else involved in the programming process or anything else to check?

Below are the steps I used to reprogram the remote keys.

2002 Jaguar X-Type V6-3.0L - Keyless Entry - Remote Transmitter Pro...
Note :A chime from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) will indicate programming status has been
enabled.
3. Turn the ignition switch to "OFF" position.
4. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
5. To program the transmitter, press any key within 10 seconds.
Note :If the remote transmitter has been accepted, the GEM will make a chime.
6. If any other remote transmitters are to be programmed, press any button once on each transmitter within
10 seconds.
Note : A maximum of four remote transmitters can be pro
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/6/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The procedure you listed seems like it's missing the first two steps. Here's the complete procedure. If you still have the problem the battery may be weak in the key fob or it's the fob itself.

Open driver's door.

2.Turn the ignition switch to the "auxiliary" position, then turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position and back to the "auxiliary" position four times.

Note :A chime from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) will indicate programming status has been enabled.

3.Turn the ignition switch to "OFF" position.

4.Remove the key from the ignition switch.

5.To program the transmitter, press any key within 10 seconds.

If any other remote transmitters are to be programmed, press any button once on each transmitter within 10 seconds.

Note : A maximum of four remote transmitters can be programmed to the vehicle at any one time.

7.Close driver door.
Richard,

Sorry, I made an error cutting and pasting. I have been doing all of those steps and still get intermittent results from the remotes. Are there any other options for me to try. I will pay you no matter what. Everything seems to work, just not dependably.

Here are the complete instructions I have. Note that they are for a 2002 not a 2004. Do they apply to both years?

Keyless Entry - Remote Transmitter Programming
XT501-23
X-TYPE
DATE
12/04
MODEL
2002 MY-ON
X-TYPE
VIN
C00001-ON
Remote Transmitter Programming -
Alternate Method Without WDS -
Procedure
Issue:
This Technical Bulletin provides an alternate procedure for programming the remote transmitters.
The Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS) is not required to carry out remote transmitter programming.
Action:
To program the remote transmitter(s) without using WDS, follow the procedure outlined below.
Note :When carrying out the alarm remote programming, ensure that no other vehicles within a 50 meter
radius are undergoing the same programming procedure, as this could affect the programming operation.
Note :All required remote transmitters must be available when carrying out this procedure.
1. Open driver's door.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the "auxiliary" position, then turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position and
back to the "auxiliary" position four times.
enabled.
ZOOM SIZED FOR PRINT
10 seconds.
7. Close driver door.
Yes that is the manual method for programming. If the remotes work intermittently usually we replace them. The first step would be to check the battery to see if the voltage is low. If the battery is ok then you will need new key fob remotes.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
The WDS or IDS is the diagnostic tool we use at the dealer. The bulletin is just saying that it is not needed to program the remotes.