Its regarding an S-Type 2001 3.0 Sports Auto model which just had its 70K service (66K on the clock) -- today while

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi there, its regarding an S-Type 2001 3.0 Sports Auto model which just had its 70K service (66K on the clock) -- today while driving throuh a tunnel in the day time the lights automaticaly came on as they do but I also noticed the malfuction light comming on at the same time which stayed on. Now everytime I start the car it stays on. As far as I can see all the bulbs are OK -- any ideas? The other problem seems to be the lurch (discribed here ttp://www.thelurch.com/lurching_zf_transmission.htm) I've had my gearbox replaced four times! Yes you read it correctly 4 times but the problem kept comming back only after 5-10K of driving on every new gearbox!! Strange thing at every service they reflash the TCM which results in car running smoothly from a few days to few months.. I've been told its someting to do with the learning gearbox fitted to these cars.   When the lurch comes back the ride quality degrades but not when cruise control is on! Any ideas
Answered by Richard in 2 hours 13 years ago
imglogo
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Automotive Mechanic, Small Engine Repairs, Auto Body Repairs, Diesel Engine Repairs

Hello and welcome to justanwer.com

What is your VIN or chassis number? Was a diagnostic done and if so what was the stored code?

Customer

Hello Richard,

VIN: AC02L21FM43513 and no no diagnostics has been done for the malfunction light as yet but in the past all of the four transmissions were replaced under warranty by the dealership without giving me any diagnostics codes.. One thing I'd like to mention is that when the lurch issue comes back the car drives like it is fitted with unevenly rounded wheels i.e. shakes and excessive movement felt inside the car the way I can describe it as the brakes getting engaged all by their own.. now when I put the car in cruise control mode on a motorway and its doing the same speed as I was doing before it al feels very different ride turn very smooth. Could it be something to do with the DSC?? works perfect in cruise control mode but not without it?? Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

Ok

What I think you are feeling is a torque converter shudder. If you have the 6 speed ZF then the TCM needs to be reprogrammed with different software. The software is a coded access software where the dealer will need to call the ZF engineer to get the code from them. I would like to know the diagnostic codes which may be on the paper work you received. I am trying to run your VIN as it may have the Ford transmission in it which was in the 2000-2003 (US) and the 2000-2002 (UK) but I am having trouble running it on the Jag site.

Customer
Many tanks for your answer Richard. If I may I would like to ask a couple of more questions regarding this.

The torque converter shudder as you called it.. is there a reason why it is not felt in cruise control mode? Would this shudder result in the malfunction indicator lamp getting illuminated as per TSB S307-10?

As far as I know the car is fitted with the Ford transmission which I read somewhere can't be reprogrammed but yet at every service reprogramming of the TCM resolves the lurch issue be it just for a few weeks to a few months!! Now the car was preowned by someone at Jaguar UK and we bought it used 6 months old.. the car was registered in Feb 2002 which makes me think it may be fitted with the ZF as it exhibits exactly the same issues people seem to get with the ZF transmissions.. is there an easy way to tell wich transmission is fitted to mine?

Sometimes you can get the code P0741 logged but not all the time. When using the cruise the PCM implements a cruise strategy to reduce "gear hunting". SInce the engine light did come on that code may have been logged. Usually the gearbox fault light will also come on when a torque converter code is stored. The transmission can be reprogrammed but it does not have a seperate TCM. Everything is incorporated in the PCM. The transmission will adapt the pressure control on engagement into gear only. To reset these engagement adapts the PCM will need to be reprogrammed then a sequence of engagements into reverse and drive are done so the PCM can learn the pressures. For the ZF the TCM is inside the transmission and can be reprogrammed and we can also force the adaptations on the road with the Jag IDS. You need to look under your vehicle at the transmission. If you have a thin black plastic trans pan you have a ZF. If it's a deep metal pan then you have the Ford unit.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.