Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2000 S-Type: Accelerating..Amber engine light came..shifting…

Customer Question
2000 S-Type, Transmission Related..... Problem...
2000 S-Type, Transmission Related..... Problem while Accelerating in Drive, transmission seems to start slipping in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears.....this problem is intermittent, more so as car warms up, which leads me to believe it more electrical than mechanical.....
Amber engine light came on and now stays on.....Code P1780 is the trouble code....as per AllData.... says D-4th switch out of self test range or failure???(What is 4th switch?)......Car drives ok by switching to 2nd gear manual and shifting to 3rd and 4th gear to get around town.....
Customer
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
5/20/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The D4 switch is a micro switch inside the J gate which tells the PCM when you switch over to manual mode. If faulty this will effect the transmission shifting but it may not be your problem. The switch is part of the J gate so the assembly will need to be replaced. If you go to the Jgate connector the white/green wire will have battery voltage when the D4 switch closes. I have seen issues with the ignition coils dropping out and spiking the PCM which also effects the transmission shifting.

The D4-Switch mystery is answered....Thank You....I agree that faulty ignition coils can affect performance, but shouldn't you feel the engine stumbling upon acceleration if this is happening??!! ...which it is not ....when the transmission goes to sllippiing the engines accelerates greatly but no stumble is felt.....

No. 3 ignition coil was replaced and the two others on that same bank.....due to a previous detected fault about two months ago....all three coils were replaced at the same time since the intake manifold is so difficult and time consuming to remove and replace.....

No. 3 ignition coil was replaced and the two others on that same bank.....due to a previous detected fault about two months ago....all three coils were replaced at the same time since the intake manifold is so difficult and time consuming to remove and replace.....also I did not use the manual side of the gearbox until I started having a problem with driving in D-mode??

Ok

I agree that the coils will cause a miss/hesitation but I have had them spike the PCM causing strange problems. I do think that the problem can be mechanical inside the transmission but with that D4 code the shifter can be an issue as well.

Ultimately, information has been learned, but the solution seems still far??

Let's recap.....a fault has been pinpointed.....we know definitely the the D4 switch is faulty.... replacing the XR811916-Gear selector illumination module...which has the microswitch (not sold separately) $186 approx........(dealer item).....and still unknown.....if more ignition coils, pcm, or actual transmission requires an overhaul/replacement needs to be done.....Is the tech suggesting to start with the D4 switch, and see what we have???

Ok sorry for the confusion. If you electrically checked the D4 switch on the J gate connector and it's faulty then the shifter should be replaced. I have seen alot of problems with the internals on that transmission causing shifting problems but the shifter should be replaced first.

Let's try to forget the manual shifter operation a second......without the manual shift mode not in operation....it should not be a factor when operating solely in D-operation......

in other words, I should be able to drive for the rest of my life in D-mode as long as I don't manually shift .....???!!!

Test driving the car in stop and go traffic(around town) this morning.....the engine accelerates(mostly when it warms up and misses the latter shift points.. and it's still intermittent...that is just enough to be aggravating at this stage...With this type of problem what's confusing/troubling is that no trouble codes have come up yet??? and the engine trouble code light that was continuall y on has gone off by itself....It seems more likely to me one of the shift solenoids or dirty fluid is causing a sluggish shift point???...

Usually we see mechanical problems like a faulty solenoid pack, sticking shift valve in the valve body, binding servo on the side of the trans case which will score the case or just worn out clutches. We use the transmission tester on our diagnostic tools to check this. You can do a drain and fill on the transmission to see if that helps but usually the unit will need to be removed and opened up. You can get this transmission from Jasper for a lot cheaper than the unit from Jag and will have a better warranty.