My X Reg S type 4l Jag has developed an intermittent fault with the locking. Today, I tried to unlock using the fob the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My X Reg S type 4l Jag has developed an intermittent fault with the locking. Today, I tried to unlock using the fob the lights flashed but all 4 doors remained locked. I tried several times. Eventually all 4 windows & sunroof half opened but the doors remained locked. After 20 minutes miraculously on one of my attempts the doors unlocked and all was back to normal.
What is the likely cause?
Answered by Richard in 1 day 13 years ago
imglogo
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Automotive Mechanic, Small Engine Repairs, Auto Body Repairs, Diesel Engine Repairs

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Sounds like you are having a problem with the driver door module which controls the remote locking system. If the problem happens again use the key to get into the vehicle and see if the doors will lock using the door handle on both front doors. If this will not work from the driver but works from the passenger then I suspect a faulty driver door module or door latch.

Customer

I did try to get into the car using the key. The lights blinked to indicate it was the alarm was off & the interior light came on BUT none of the doors opened.

Does that change your diagnosis at all?

If the lights flashed then the module received the rf signal and sent the signal to the fem and rem to activate the lights but either did not operate the door latch or the latch itself is faulty. When the problem happens you can disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes which may reset the module just make sure that you have the radio code.

Customer
Thank you. At the moment all operates normally but the rear door on drivers side remains locked, Does that just reconfirm everything you said or does that mean something else is wrong?

Sounds like the driver rear door latch will need to be replaced but it may not be the only issue.

Customer

Sorry. Last question! What other issues could it be? It seemed to me,as this all started happening at the same time, that there must be one specific problem given this timing.
If I had to guess I would say it's the driver door latch. Since the lights are working and the global open is working the module is activating via the remote and it's most likely the latch binding.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.