Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2003 S Type: auto trans..tach..usual rpm rise..slipping transmission…

Hi, I have a 2003...
Hi, I have a 2003 S Type 4.2 auto trans with only 15,500 original miles.

Yesterday after a 60 minute high speed drive and after the car cooled down and on the
return trip, upon medium to hard acceleration, there was a brief "whine" sound from below the floorpan and towards the front, like almost under the engine.

The whine was accompanied by a very brief perceived "lag" in driveline response, but the
tach did not have the usual rpm rise like with a slipping transmission would have upon acceleration.

Also, for 20 minutes would not engage in "sport" or manual shift modes, but the "whine" was still there.

Later, went out again and the whine began again after aXXXXXand this time sport and manual modes worked fine.

The drive belt looks good, not glazed and not cracked, but I can't see much from the above engine side.

Ideas? Suggestions? Owner reset procedure? Or to the Jag dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Charle
5/4/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

If the noise was a momentary whine or squawk noise when accelerating or when the transmission downshifts then the noise is actually coming from the transmission. The good news is that the fix for this concern is to install an additive to the transmission fluid. Since there is no dipstick it will have to be added through the fill plug on the side of the transmission. About a half a liter will need to be drained and the additive installed. I recommend you have this work performed at the dealer or garage as it's actually not that easy to do unless you have experience working on this vehicle. The additive is not that expensive and the labor to install it is about 1-1.5 hours labor depending on the shop.

Richard, Jaguar Technician

Richard,

2 Quick follow ups- is there a TSB I can refer to on this issue?

Do I need to get to the dealer today or can this wait a day or two?

If I keep the acceleration easy, I don't think I get the Squawk!

Regards,

Charles

Richard,

Regards,

Charles

Yes there is a TSB on this issue. You can drive it without a problem but it should be addressed. Usually the squawk will happen during hard acceleration or when the trans downshifts into the lower gear.

NUMBER: JTB00070
VERSION 1

MODEL: S-TYPE, XJ, XK

DATE: DECEMBER 5, 2007

THIS BULLETIN, ALONG WITH JTB00071, REPLACES JTB00040 VERSION 2, DATED 31 JULY 2007.

SECTION: 307-01

Transmission Noise During Gear Shifts - Repair Procedure

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE

CONDITION SUMMARY:

SQUAWK/CHIRP NOISE DURING TRANSMISSION GEAR SHIFTS

Situation:

The customer may complain of a squawk noise from the automatic transmission when changing into third gear. The noise may also occur on kick-down from fourth to third and sixth to third gears. A squawk or chirp noise can also be heard when changing from third to fourth gear at 50% throttle. The likely cause is that the 'E' clutch sticks and releases when engaging and disengaging gear.

Action:

Should a customer express concern about noise during gear shifts, follow the Repair Procedure below to remedy it using the additive.

The additive must only be used in the following cases:

^To fix a transmission noise during gearshifts (squawk).

^It must only be used once in a transmission. The exception to the "use once" rule is if the transmission has had a complete fluid change, where a second application may be used on a customer complaint of transmission squawk.

NOTE: The additive must not be used in the following circumstances:

^It must not be used in an attempt to fix any other transmission concerns, for example noises other than squawk, harsh transmission shifts, or Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) logged in the transmission control module.

^The additive must not be used on any cars from 2006 MY onwards starting with VINS S-TYPE: N52048, XJ Range: H00332, New XK: ALL vehicles.

^The additive must not be used more than once in a transmission apart from the exception described in the second bullet of the NOTE above.

^Do not use the additive as a preventative measure. It must not be used unless there is transmission noise during gearshifts (squawk) present.

^Do not add the fluid during initial oil fill when a new or remanufactured transmission is installed.

^The effects of using the additive incorrectly as outlined above may be reduced friction of the clutches leading to poor shift quality, logged DTCs, and it can also induce flare.
Richard, Jaguar Technician