Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2001 xk8: reverse..tranny has always shifted smoothly with no problems…

Customer Question
My 2001 xk8 72k miles...
My 2001 xk8 72k miles won't go into reverse. The tranny has always shifted smoothly with no problems. This morning nothing happened when I slotted it into R. All other gears/positions work. Help! Thanks!
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
4/11/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When putting it in reverse do you feel it engage but just no movement? Is the gearbox fault warning message on? Is the R lite up on the J gate shifter when in reverse? The car will go into drive and move?

Richard,

When R is selected, the R is lit, but the transmission does not engage. The transmission will engage and the car will move forward when Drive or any of the numbered forward gears are selected on the gate. The lack of gear engagement only occurs when R is selected. There is no fault message displayed.

The transmission has never given a hint of a problem before. Thanks!

Toby

Ok

You may have a mechanical problem inside the transmission causing the no reverse engagement. It can also be a problem with the cable or rotory switch on the side of the transmission. Since the R is lite up the cable and switch should be working as when the shifter is put in reverse the rotory switch sends the signal to the TCM which will then illuminate the lite. It's more likely a transmission mechnical problem.

Richard, Jaguar Technician