Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

S-Type: Jag..V..gearbox fault (amber alert..transmission fluid…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Jag...
I have a 2005 Jag S-Type V-8. I just got a gearbox fault (amber alert) in the message center. When I started the car this afternoon, it was making a "humming" sound which made me think low transmission fluid. How do I check and add fluid?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Jaguar
3/22/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 13 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

There is no dipstick on that transmission. You will need to remove the fill plug on the passenger side rear of the tranmission while the engine is running and the fluid is about 40 degrees C. The fluid will start to flow out of that plug when it's full. If you are checking the fluid yourself remeber that is needs to be on level ground or jacked up equally in the fron and back. If the car seems to be driving normally then you should take it in to have the vehicle scanned for codes. Usually the gearbox fault light is due to the torque converter or possibly a programming problem.

Does the humming sound to you indicate low transmission fluid? Now that I think about it, I have heard the noise recently, but not as loud as it was this afternoon. The light came on after the car "seemed" to fail to shift. I was accelerating and it was almost like I missed agear or it popped out of gear if it were a manual transmission. Considering 76K on the car etc, is there a suggestion as to what fluid type, brand, etc. I should add?
The only fluid that you should use is the Jaguar fluid. I have seen issues with the trans cooler lines leaking causing the low fluid. If the problem is getting worse you should have the vehicle towed as you can do more damage if you driveit on the low fluid.
Jaguar or not, does a humming sound to you indicate low fluid? How hard will it be for me to add fluid without any real "equipment" to make it easier?
If trans fluid is low you may hear a hum or whine noise from the pump. You will need some special tools to fill the trans but I can give you a quick walk through. First you will need to use the Jag fluid. Locate the fill plug on the passenger side rear of the transmission. You will need a short 8mm hex key to remove it. Crack it loose but do not remove it. When the engine is cold start it up and go through all the gears. Keep the engine running and remove that plug. If fluid comes out then it's full. If it doesnot then you will need a siphon pump to fill the fluid through the fill plug opening.
Richard, Jaguar Technician