Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

My Landlord is refusing to return my deposit. He is claiming…

Customer Question
My Landlord is refusing...

My Landlord is refusing to return my deposit. He is claiming that I had to give him the minimum required notice at the end of a fixed term tenancy which is not correct. I did not give him any notice, I simply left the property at the end of the tenancy.I vacated the apartment in full on 28th February. It doesn't say anywhere in my lease that the key's had to be physically handed back to the landlord by the 28th. I posted the keys on Feb 28th and they reached him on 8th March owing to the bad weather etc. So the keys were late getting to him.If I never handed back the keys he would simply be entitled to retain the key deposit of 300 euro not charge an additional 28/35 days rent.The lease specifically gave the landlord a month before the tenancy expired to show the apartment and find a new tenant, which they did not do.I did not give notice that I wished to remain in the property beyond the fixed term tenancy which I would be legally required to do if I was staying in the property.Is the landlord entitled to keep my deposit?
Is it a good idea to simply reverse my last direct debit to get it back?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ireland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. Just email correspondence with the landlord so far.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. fire away.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
3/13/2018
Solicitor: legalau,
 replied 4 months ago
legalau

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Solicitor: legalau,
 replied 4 months ago

is your question for Australia ?

how has australia been selected. This relates to Ireland
Solicitor: legalau,
 replied 4 months ago

ok

Solicitor: Ronan, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor

From what you outline you are entitled to your deposit back. If you are in a position to reverse your previous direct debit them by all means do. If the landlord disputes the matter, he must refer the matter to the Private Residential Tenancies Board. He must have registered the tenancies agreement with the PRTB in the first instance.

Alternatively, if he still has the money, you can lodge a complaint with the PRTB (regardless of whether your landlord has registered it or not). The can either mediate or adjudicate on the dispute. The terms of the lease will speak to the facts of whether the deposit is returnable