Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

It's about a fixed penalty notice if they got your name

Customer Question
wrong on the notice is...
It's about a fixed penalty notice if they got your name wrong on the notice is that grounds to have it dismissed
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
11/24/2017
Solicitor: Buachaill, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Dear Martin, the first thing you need to realise is that just because a fixed penalty notice does not have your correct name on it, this does not amount to grounds to have it dismissed. This is because the case goes to court if you don't pay the fixed penalty notice. If in court the Garda gets your name correct, then the prosecution is fully valid and you can be successfully prosecuted for the offence. However, if the Garda gets your name wrong and your solicitor applies to have it struck out on this basis, then you will win.

2. However, be aware that often if the incorrect name is ***** ***** court, the prosecuting Garda Superintendent will seek an amendment to reflect your correct name. This is something within the discretion of the District Judge. So, be aware that you will have to fight the case in court for the case to go your way and the result obtained will depend upon the attitude of the District Judge. So, there is no hard and fast rule that if the name on a fixed penalty notice is wrong that you will end up with the case dismissed.

3. If you are intending fighting this case, then I would suggest you get a good Road Traffic solicitor. Be aware that you will have to pay the solicitor whether you win or not. So factor this into your decision when deciding whether to fight the case.

4. Be aware additionally that less than 70% of Road Traffic cases result in a successful prosecution. So, your odds are about one in three.

5. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.