Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

I was convicted in the circuit court of a criminal offence…

Customer Question
I was convicted in the...
I was convicted in the circuit court of a criminal offence in 2015 and sentenced in December 2015. I was given a suspended sentence and ordered to pay compensation. I was given two years to pay compensation, so it should be paid soon. I have in the meantime found new evidence which was not used in the trial, and I want to appeal the conviction. I am currently putting in an application for enlargement of time as the time frame to appeal was one month, which is long passed. My question is: do I need to pay the compensation now, or is the time period to pay the compensation frozen as I am trying to put in an appeal?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
11/19/2017
Solicitor: Jamie Law, Solicitor replied 9 months ago
Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

You have an order to pay compensation. Until this is overturned you must continue to pay.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Does this not mean it is suspended until the appeal is over?
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1993/act/6/section/8/enacted/en/html#sec8
The operation of a compensation order shall be suspended............
(b) in a case where the notice aforesaid is given within that time or such extended time as the court to which the appeal is brought may allow, until the appeal or any further appeal therefrom is finally determined or abandoned or the ordinary time for instituting any further appeal has expired.

But you havent appealed yet.

You are preparing your appeal. You have not submitted your appeal.

Thinking about putting together an appeal is not enough. Anyone could say they are just thinking about it.

You need to have lodged it.

Does that clarify>

I am applying for an enlargement of time next week; will that freeze the time to pay the compensation? It doesn’t seem to be specified in the statute book.
Sorry I made a mistake there. I am sending the forms to apply for an enlargement of time next week.