Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

My dad had given me some money before he died now my brother…

Hi my dad had given...
Hi my dad had given me some money before he died now my brother is looking for half do I have to give it to him as my dad didn't want him to have it
11/14/2017
Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer

1. There is no rule of law or practice which requires you to share any gift of money given to you by your father before his death, with your brother. He has no legal entitlement to any of the money. So, you can simply refuse to give him any of it, as he has no legal entitlement to any share in the money. Once a gift is given to a person, then it is their property. There is no rule which requires a person to share any gifts from their parent with their brother.

2. Dear Sabrina, please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer