Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland Law Questions Answered by Experts

Republic of Ireland Law

My deceased husband was born in Ireland and was the third of…

Customer Question
My deceased husband was...

My deceased husband was born in Ireland and was the third of five children His two younger sisters have also died. The youngest sister died in May 2017 in Dublin Ireland. She was single and childless. Once her estate is probated are the children of the deceased brother and deceased elder sister entitled to their portion of the estate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Dublin Ireland

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I do not have any documentation. My brother in law (married to the elder sister that died) inquired as to the status of the estate. he was told that the third sister is having the estate probated.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
11/12/2017
Solicitor: EULawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. If I understand correctly, the deceased was single and childless, and is survived by brothers and sisters only (I assume the parents of the siblings are not alive anymore). Some of the siblings survive, others do not, but have left children.

As long as there is no Will, according to the Irish Succession Act 1965, the heirs receive as follows:

1) The estate is first divided by four (i.e. original number of siblings minus the deceased);

2) Each surviving sibling receives 1/4;

3) The children of each deceased sibling receive the 1/4 divided by their number (so, if there are two, each 1/8).

In other words, the answer to your question is yes, the children of the deceased sibling are entitled to a portion of the estate.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

EULawyer
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer