Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland Law Questions Answered by Experts

Republic of Ireland Law

My query relates to a defence we are making under statute…

Customer Question
My query relates to...

My query relates to a defence we are making under statute barred. We are writing a defence on the claim that it is statute bared. Can you tell us please what does 'under seal' mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

High Curt Dublin. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we have filed an appearance and have now to do our defence. thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our case pertains to moneys the bank say we borrowed and was due to be paid in full on the 30th April 2009.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2017
Solicitor: Buachaill, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer

1. The relevance of the phrase 'under seal' to a Statute of Limitations defence is that time limits are extended in all cases when a document is under seal. The definition of a seal is a design pressed into wax. So, if you are signing a contract and you impress a seal in wax on it, then this amounts to a document 'under seal'. In olden times, the document might have its leaves bound together by the seal, but this is no longer the practice. So long as the wax seal is placed on the face of the document, this is a document 'under seal'. You can tell quite simply with a contact whether it is under seal by examining it to see if it has a wax seal on it. You can look at section 11 of the Statute of limitations to see examples of where time limits are extended where a document is 'under seal'.

2. Please Rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill
Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer