Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

I have a question regarding post nuptial citizenship. I

Customer Question
Good morning Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have a question regarding post nuptial citizenship

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I married an Irish person in 2002. I was granted the citizenship in 2005. no

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I moved back to Italy in 2008 but I have never applied for a passport can I still do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have separated in 2012 legal separation in Italy. But no divorce yet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Answered in 2 days by:
9/30/2017
Solicitor: EULawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. The answer is that, if by "granted the citizenship" you mean having participated in the citizenship ceremony and received the Certificate of Naturalization, then you can apply for the Irish passport at any time. This is because, once given, the citizenship is not taken back for reasons of divorce or separation (that only counts during the assessment for citizenship). The situation would be more complicated if you did not yet participate in the ceremony, because between 2005 and now my understanding is that the offer of citizenship would have expired. But I assume you did, have the certificate, and only omitted to ask for the passport. The right to ask for a passport, after you get the certificate of naturalization, does not expire.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad