Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

My 88 year old husband has been paying maintenance to his…

Customer Question
My 88 year old husband...
My 88 year old husband has been paying maintenance to his ex-wife for the last 22years of £500 a month. Some time ago she inherited a great deal of money from her mothers estate and now has assets which are many times more than my husband's. is there any way he can be relieved of the burden of maintenance?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Answered in 1 day by:
8/5/2017
Solicitor: EULawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your question. I am answering on the basis of Ireland as the relevant country, as it appears on my dashboard.

The answer is yes, your husband may apply to vary or be discharged from the maintenance order completely.

To do so, he should apply using Form 54.11, which is available on the Irish Courts website here (http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrent/952BC25C89DD00D880257FB5004D3804?opendocument&l=en)

There will be a short trial, and the court will look at the financial status of both parties. Given what you say, and the amount of time that has passed, it is probably advisable that he applies, because maintenance payments should cease once there is no reasonable need for them.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

thank you

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your reply. However, I would appreciate if you would also give a full star rating, as otherwise I will not get paid.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad