How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10623
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a registered commercial kitchen and banqueting suite

This answer was rated:

Hi. I own a registered commercial kitchen and banqueting suite in Dublin where I provide food, wine and champagne for customers at private function such as birthday, weddings, christening etc. Do I need a public dance licence for the premises?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Republic of Ireland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I have owned this premises and operating for over 21months. Last Saturday in the middle of guests having dinner. The Gardai turns up and escorted all guests out. Demanding for a public dance licence
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: To the best of my knowledge private functions do not require public dance licence. Is this opinion right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the retailer on licence which allows me to serve wine and champagne.
Due to the disappointing occurrence on the 50th birthday of the customer which family and friends where flown from around the world to celebrate, the customer has requested for a compensation and has made his intention to sue.
This leaves a big question mark on my business. I want to know the way forward and how to handle this properly

1. You only need a public dance licence if members of the public are dancing on the premises during the weddings, banquets and other occasions. Essentially, a public dance licence is required anywhere the public engage in dancing in public. It is a form of licence which is a relic of De Valera's "dancing at the crossroads" culture after the foundation of the State. If there is dancing at these weddings - which I imagine there is - then you can simply apply at your local District Court sittings in September for a public dance licence. This takes place at the same time as the annual licensing courts in the District Court. I would suggest you get yourself a solicitor and get prepared to make an application for an emergency public dance licence. Then in September, you can make an application for a Permanent Public Dance licence. Otherwise, you run the risk of having your events interrupted by the Gardai once again.

2. I would advise you to get an emergency public dance licence as a matter of urgency as you will need to validate any events you are having in the short term. So, you should speak to your solicitor about making an application. Be aware that the same proofs as a liquor licence are required, with Fire Safety Certificates, Tax Clearance Certificate and a map of the premises being licensed being required.

3. The application is made under the Public Dance Halls Act, 1935, which originates from Dev's first terms in office in government. Be aware that both roofed and unroofed areas must be licensed. This application is separate from the liquor licence you may have.

4. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. I spoke to my solicitor about the public dance licence but was told there are some clauses. I have a function room, serving a niche market, weddings, birthdays all of which are private functions. Is there a licence in The Republic of Ireland for this. Banqueting/ Recreation Centre