Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland Law Questions Answered by Experts

Republic of Ireland Law

Yesterday I received notice that I would be off on

Customer Question
Hello, Yesterday I received notice that...
Yesterday I received notice that I would be laid off on 31.01.2017. My contract with this company will be two years on 09.02.2017, therefore I was told I am not entitled to redundancy. I also have this mention in Severance agreement:
''Notice period- Your contract of employment provides for 4 weeks notice and we are paying you in lieu of your notice period. Your termination date with the Company will be 31 January 2017. Your last day worked will be 31 January 2017''
Could you please let me know what this means and also let me know if I can do something regarding the redundancy?
Thank you,
Aura.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
11/17/2016
Solicitor: Ben Jones, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with.

Do you know whether your position will exist after 31st January 2017?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it will not

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court for the rest of today so will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much, I will wait for your answer.

I am very sorry I did not realise you were based in ROI and I am a UK lawyer so cannot help. I will opt out and let an Irish lawyer pick this up instead. No need to reply in the meantime, thanks

Solicitor: Ronan, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
It means that you will be paid for 4 weeks in lieu of working your for 4 weeks notice. Unfortunately they are correct you do not qualify for redundancy as you do not have the requisite 104 weeks work in order to qualify for statutory redundancy. Further to this, you were on a fixed term contract and not entitled to redundancy in any event, in the normal course you would have finished work on the 9th Feb next
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ronan, thank you for your answer. I am not on fixed term contract. I got a permanent contract few month ago.So, I can give the notice 4 weeks before 31 January 2017 and I don't need to go to work within these weeks, right?

No if you give notice you must work out the 4 weeks. They are going to pay you 4 weeks rather then give you the contractual notice period of 4 weeks

Ronan
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor