How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10540
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had decided to take a year out of college as the

Customer Question

My son had decided to take a year out of college as the course does not suit him. I am currently in receipt of maintenance €50 per week. Should I notify his father to stop paying as he has asked about his current situation. He will return to college is Sept 17. He is 20 years old.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Sorry. I am in Ireland.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I don't think so.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Yes, you should notify his father that he does not have to pay maintenance for this coming year. However, you should also point out to the father that the obligation to pay maintenance will resume in September 2017, as his son is returning to college. So long as your son continues in college his father has an obligation to pay maintenance. Normally, when the son is over 18, the maintenance would get paid directly to the child as the child is now an adult. So, you should get your son to arrange this with his father. Be aware that it is 14% of the net after tax income of the father which should be paid in maintenance to his son.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.