How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10536
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was banned from driving period of two years in April of

Customer Question

I was banned from driving for a period of two years in April of 2015, I am now over one year without a licence and trying to start a business, can I apply for my licence back early?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Im in Ireland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I did last year and he said I'd have very little chance but I was speaking to the police the other day and they said you can get your licence back early under certain circumstances like work, family ect...
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Co.Clare...Ireland
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm in receipt of an enterprise allowance for my business which takes my all over the country and it's really taking off but I can't do much at the moment getting trains and buses with all my equipment..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, I don't know who was telling you that you could get your driving licence back early given your two year ban, but that person was badly leading you astray. They have no knowledge of the law in this area and they clearly did not have your best interests at heart. The rule in relation to drink driving is that the two year ban is mandatory. It cannot be shortened. There is now no discretion to shorten the two year driving ban. There is no such thing as a discretion to reduce the two year term. So, whoever or whatever person was telling you that, they were pulling your leg! So, give them the deaf ear.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. There is only a discretion to reduce a two year driving ban, if your ban was not for drink driving but was for something else, like careless driving. Then you can make an application and have it potentially reduced. However, you should get yourself a good and experienced Road traffic solicitor as reduction in driving bans are always problematic. You will have to show remorse. And that you will not reoffend during the period of the reduction in the ban.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.