How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10623
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was abroad in Barcelona and on the day I was due to fly

Customer Question

I was abroad in Barcelona and on the day I was due to fly home my debit card company blocked my card. As a result of this, I was unable to withdraw money from an ATM and had no cash to get to the airport to get my flight home to Dublin.
I contacted my bank when I noticed, and they told me that it would take 24 hours for my card to be cleared. I missed my scheduled flight as a result of this, and had to rebook another one last minute, a huge expense to me.
I did not inform my bank that I was travelling abroad. I am only knew to having a bank account (as a student), and there was never any communication to me that failure to do so may result in my card being blocked.
Do I have any claim against my bank for this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****er, once you can show negligence and breach of duty on the part of your bank in handling your financial affairs, then you can make a claim against them for loss and damage suffered as a result of their careless behaviour in handling your financial affairs. Here, the blocking of your card when you went abroad was beyond what a prudent banker would do when assessing the risk on your account. Basically, people travel abroad at all times. So putting a block on your account lead directly to your loss. So, for this, you should make a claim and seek recoupment of the additional expenditure you have incurred. So you should make a list of all the additional expenditure incurred and seek recompense from the bank for the loss caused.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.