How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10539
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a garda drop in a court summons today tax,no nct,i was

Customer Question

hi, i had a garda drop in a court summons today for no tax,no nct,i was stopped in may last year,todate nothing came in post, i live in the country and the postman is a bit careless at time, if i had to a penalty charge I would have paid it,what should I do now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I should have mentioned,We have a family car and a van with all in order, my wife had to go to work in dublin so she brought the car, the van has only 3 seats,the jeep I had has 5 seats, We have three kids,I dropped the kids to school, I got stopped on way back,jeep was insured.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Essentially, you should seek to defend the Summons. There is no obligation on the Gardai to send you a fixed penalty notice. So, until recently, a Summons was the way every offence was dealt with. I would advise you to get a solicitor experienced in Road Traffic offences, as you are likely to get a fine for both offences if they can be proved. Having a solicitor normally means there is a discount for any fine given. So, whilst you will pay 50 euros to the solicitor to represent you, it will probably get you a discounted fine for both offences or else you will plead to one and get off the other, with a reduced fine.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. It is for this reason, I would advise you to get a solicitor. Whilst you can represent yourself, any fine given is likely to be higher. Additionally, if ther e is any defect in the Summons, a solicitor will spot it and you might get off entirely. It is for this reason I would advise you get a solicitor, even if you are only pleading guilty
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.