Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I ws made redundant as a realist of an impending move with

Customer Question

hi i ws made redundant as a realist of an impending move with my partner, after i was made redundant he dumped me so no wedding and he banned me from moving into our future home. I lost my career, end up in a uscg unit and basically have been left in the shit as a result. He promised to mind me and start our new life together and his interfering family intervened. He broke verbal contracts... can i sue for loss of income etc
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: not off hand
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
email is***@******.***
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Dairina, I regret to say that the old cause of action for breach of a promise to marry was abolished about 15 years ago in Ireland. So, I regret to say the law does not allow you to sue for your partner's breach of a promise to marry. Additionally, an oral representation that someone will look after you, will not allow you to sue on that representation. It is too vague and there is no consideration (something of value) flowing from you to them to allow an action. So, I regret to say there will be no successful cause of action in this instance. Additionally, being made redundant is not something which is within the power of your boyfriend. It is something in the gift of your employer, so, there is no way you can sue your partner over this issue.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.