How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10525
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm writing on behalf of my father, His father died in

Customer Question

I'm writing on behalf of my father, His father died in 1945, and left no will, his mother passed away in 1990, one of his family members is living on home place , is my father entitled to some of the house and land.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. The first thing which strikes me from the situation you narrate, is that owing to lapse of time, your father's rights to the will might have been ousted. He ought to have acted in 1990, 26 years ago, when his mother died. The situation now, is that the family member who is living in the home place, might seek to claim squatter's rights to the home place. This would give them rights of ownership after 12 years squatting in the house and lands. So, this is the first thing which strikes me after such a long lapse of time.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. If the person living in the home place is not going to claim squatter's rights, then your father would share equally with his brothers and sisters in the assets owned by his mother. Similarly, he would have a share in one third of the estate of his father. However, it will be necessary that the wills of both his parents be properly administered, if he is to obtain his share. So, I would suggest he seeks to take out letters of administration to both his parents' estates. he can then control the arrangements which occur in relation to each estate. However, lapse of time, might be a major issue.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.