How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10539
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and it is regarding a guard asking

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** and it is regarding a guard asking me to produce tax on my car
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes, we are american and my husband recently purchased a car from other americans that were moving back to the states we have a certificate of insurance, however our liceneses are still from the US also, the tax apparently has not been paid on the car since 2012 - we are only going to owe tax on the car from when we purchased it, correct?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. I regret to say you are mistaken here. Car tax is due from 2012, from the last time tax was paid on the car. Just because a car changes ownership, this does not mean that the back car tax is not due. You should have demanded the back car tax from the previous owner when you bought it. Otherwise you have a liability, now, to pay all back car tax. The key point is that so long as a car is on the road, then car tax is due. Just because a car changes ownership, this does not mean that back car tax is erased in Ireland. So the Garda can prosecute you have for the failure to pay all car tax since 2012, I regret to say. So you need to take measures to pay the back car tax and to bring it all up to date.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for your response. That is not what I was hoping to hear, but maybe you can let me know what my options are at this point. The previous owners of the car now live back in the States. We are also due to move back in a couple of months and at the moment do not have the money to pay the back road tax from 2012. What are my options at this point? Is there anything I can do to temporarily pay a portion of the tax? Will I not be able to sell the vehicle at all? Thank you
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. I appreciate it is not what you want to hear. However, it is something you need to look out for, when you are buying a car in Ireland. What I would suggest you do is to speak to the Garda who stopped you and see if some arrangement can be entered into to pay the Car Tax by instalments. Otherwise, I have seen no facility at the local County Council offices where it is collected whereby you can pay by instalments. Be aware that non payment of the Car TAx does not make the car unsaleable. However, anyone with experience is going to make a deduction for the fact it is not up to date when determining the price they will pay you. If the vehicle was off the road during this period, you can seek an exemption at your local Garda station. However, you will have to sign a declaration to this effect in order to get this deduction.