Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

I have received a letter from a Finance company demanding…

Customer Question
I have received a...

I have received a letter from a Finance company demanding repayment of €6,500

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

This is an outstanding debt relating to a motor vehicle purchased through my business in###-##-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?

They have not been in contact for over 2 years and my situation remains as it was in 2014 i.e. unemployed and not entitled to claim ant benefit

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
3/8/2016
Solicitor: Ronan, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor

Was your business a Limited Company?

but the demand is made to me personally as I signed lease in my own name not company but payment came from company account

Then you made the agreement with the finance company and not your former business. It is irrelevant where the payments came from you are personally responsible for the debt. When was the last time that any money was paid on the debt or the last time you acknowledge the debt to the finance company??

5-6 years since any payment madeAcknowledgement if debt 2-3 years

Then they are inside the statute of limitation for the issuing of proceedings and fully entitled to pursue you for the debts

What would be a reasonable amount to offer in settlement of debt

It will depend on your circumstances and whether they are prepared to negotiate with you. If you are proposing an agreement to settle. They will want a full statement of all your financial affairs with vouching documentation. It is relatively small debt however. You could offer 1/2 and indicate that it will be paid within a week as full and final settlement. They may not go for it however