Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

I did some criminal damage saturday night and im trying to…

Customer Question
I did some criminal...

I did some criminal damage saturday night and im trying to find out if i will go to jail

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I came home from sisters 30th. I was spending time with my sick grandad that i probably saw for the last time. I got a lot of abusive messages and i went up to the house and did damage to 2 cars. I called to the house the next day to apologise and say i would pay for all the damage the car owner said he would be ok with it but the cars are involved

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
2/29/2016
Solicitor: Ronan, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor

I assume you mean the guards are involved. If this is a first offence and you have made good all the damage to the cars by payment. It is unlikely the Judge will send you to jail. It is more likely to be dealt with by either a fine or suspended sentence, if you are in fact ultimately charged, which from your question is not the case presently

Ok it is a lot of damage. I talked with the guy who owns the car is it up to him whether I am charged or the guards?

Yes it is, it's his complaint so if he withdraws it. The Gardai will not prosecute the case.