How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10628
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i change my plea back to not guilty in a before a

Customer Question

can i change my plea back to not guilty in a before a circuit court trial
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes its an assault case with a jury
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: to plead guilty as theres cctv i pushed my partner after she poured drink in my dinner in apub and she fell and recieved 20 stitches in her head.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: no just when sinnhe came in she verbally abused me. iasked her outside to talk. the waiter told me my dinner was on the counter my partner charged ahead of me and poured the drink in my dinner
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Yes, you can change your plea in a Circuit Court prosecution where you have already entered a guilty plea. However, be aware that upon the trial actually occurring, you will be cross-examined upon why you first entered a guilty plea so you will have to have a good response to this question. Be aware that you will have to be arraigned again in Court and the plea put to you again. This time be sure to plead "not guilty" if this is what you want to do. However, the fact you have now entered a Not Guilty plea will not affect your trial. The trial will proceed upon the evidence tendered. You will not be prejudiced by having entered a Guilty plea save to the extent that the Guilty plea and why you made a Guilty plea will be something you will be questioned about.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Accordingly, I would suggest you speak with your solicitor and seek to have your Guilty plea withdrawn and a fresh plea of Not Guilty entered. Be aware that this time you will have to give firm instructions to your solicitor and barrister about how you want the case run. Don't change course again.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will not receive payment for answering your Question.