How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10539
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Buachaill, Can he oppose the order? If so how does he

Customer Question

Dear Buachaill,Can he oppose the order for sale ?
If so how does he go about it ?
How do we charge him rent ?
What do we do if he refuses to pay rent ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. YOur sibling can oppose the order for sale, I regret to say. However, he will not be successful in this course of action, as a court will not "lock in" a co-owner into ownership. Secondly, you should speak with a solicitor to formally write to your sibling. Additionally, I would recommend that you negotiate informally with him to seek a resolution to the difficulty. Thirdly, you can seek to charge him rent, but be aware that he will most likely suggest that you put a tenant into your share of the house. Fourthly, if he refuses to pay the additional rent, there is nothing you can do as he is an owner of the property and in practice, this means he doesn't have to pay rent to live there, as an owner does not have to pay rent. It is up to you to live there as well if you want to use the house.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.