Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I was in canada 12 months ago on a working visa but i was

Customer Question

Customer: i was in canada 12 months ago on a working visa but i was let go after 6 months.i am home now 12 months.while i was there i got a rbc credit card and i owe 700 dollars at the time. after 6 months in canada i was let go because of no work and because of the work visa type i had to go home straight away.can rbc come after me for the money?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Republic of Ireland Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes i can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Hi, I regret to say that debts do not stop at borders. So if the Royal Bank of Canada wish to traceyou to Ireland, then they can sue you for the debt owing on the credit card. It is much more likely that they will sell the debt to debt collectors in Ireland who will then sue you in the name of the bank in Ireland. Nowadays because all credit card scoring companies, such as Experian are international, it is much easier to locate someone.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Accordingly, the bad news is that the RBC can come after you in Ireland. They will probably have no difficulty in tracing you as they most likely got a copy of your passport when you opened the account in Canada. So, I regret to say that you will most likely have to repay the 700 dollars.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please RATE the answer as unless you rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your question so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.