Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Do I have to tell an insurance company about a drunk driving

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Wood,for how long do I have to tell an insurance company about a drunk driving conviction,my conviction is 15 years old?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was banned for one year 15 years ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Republic of Ireland Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. I regret to say that you will have to continue to inform your insurance company of your one year driving ban as there is no legislation in Ireland currently, equivalent to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act in England. This means that convictions don't become "spent" after a period of time. So you will have to continue to tell the insurance of the offence. Be aware that the Current coalition government has a bill before the dail which would change the law in this regard. It was originally introduced as a Private Members Bill by Barry Andrews TD but is still awaiting passage. This would change the law for you.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. HOwever, as things stand, an insurance contract is a contract of good faith and full disclosure. This means that the policy would be void if you didn't inform the insurance company of your previous conviction. So, if you had an accident, they could refuse cover on the basis of your failure to inform them of the conviction. So you should certainly inform them of it.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering the Question so there is no incentive to answer any further Questions.