How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10591
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son changed hs name by deed poll a few years ago. He

Customer Question

Hi, my son changed hs name by deed poll a few years ago. He could not get his passport in the new name at the time as he had only just started using same. His passport is now due for renewal but he now lives in another country which would only accept the name on his original passport for work/tax purposes etc. He wants to know if renewing his passport in his 'old' name is illegal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Hi, I regret to say that once you change your name by Deed Poll then legally speaking you are now the new name and not the old name you used to use. So here your son can only apply for a passport in his new name as otherwise, he is committed a fraud if he applies in his old name. The proper thing for your son to have done here was to immediately apply for a new passport in his new name once he changed it by Deed Poll. This would have avoided the situation where he is now known by his old name in the new country in which he is living. The only other alternative, if he wants to now use his old name, is to change his name back by Deed Poll again....