How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2255
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am separated from father of our child have a mediation

Customer Question

I am separated from father of our child have a mediation agreement but not officially put through court yet. I am starting new 6 month job which means I'll be away 3 nights. Are there any implications? Been separated 2 years by April 2016. Should I get mediation agreed or signed off through Solicitors at this stage?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

I take it from your description that you were not married to this man.

If you have an agreement in place. You should issue the appropriate applications before the District Court to formalise the access/guardianship/maintenance matters. As the arrangements are already agreed, it will simply be a matter of have the orders ruled on consent by the Judge.

I am not sure what implications you feel there might be with starting the new job??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Obviously if I am away a lot the father will be looking after our child along with his parents. Could he ever apply for total custody?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He never applied for Guardianship before we were due to be married in 2015.
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.

He could apply at any stage for a court direction regarding custody/access or indeed make an application for guardianship. Even if there is already a court order in place. It is unusual that one parent would be granted sole custody. It would require an exceptional reason