How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2253
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My aunt passed away just over a year ago and she left a

Customer Question

My aunt passed away just over a year ago and she left a considerable estate. At the time we asked the solicitor by email for a copy of her will and got no reply. Due to ill health I never pursued it presuming that if we were left anything the family would notify us. I spoke to a cousin last week who informed me she had left everything to her God children and the family who looked after her in her later years, however my son was her godson, I know she remembered this always as there was a long standing joke of him telling his teacher at school his godmother was a punk as she had red hair, she always created me with how's my godson, how can I look into this matter
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 2 years ago.

Firstly, you are not entitled to a copy of the will and the solicitor is not entitled to release it to you. The only person with a right to see this is the residuary legatee(Executor named in the will). It is a matter for them to decide if they wish to release it to you. If not, you will have to wait until the document becomes proven in the Probate office and a matter of public record. You should look into this at this stage if she past away over a year ago.

If indeed, it is the case that she left everything to her godchildren, your son would be entitled to an equal share in the estate along with her other godchildren. The executor is responsible for distributing the estate. If this is the situation and you have heard nothing from the executor firstly try to contact them to establish what is going on. Failin that, you could issue proceedings against the estate and seeking injunctive relief preventing the distribution of the estate until your son's entitlement has been established