How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10527
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

However, an otherwise non-public individual has a right to

Customer Question

However, an otherwise non-public individual has a right to privacy from: a) intrusion on one's solitude or into one's private affairs; b) public disclosure of embarrassing private information; c) publicity which puts him/her in a false light to the public; d) appropriation of one's name or picture for personal or commercial advantage. this is the us law. what is the equivalent in ireland as I have people going through my stuff and personal information/documents.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Irish personal privacy and data protection law is more extensive than exists in the US. For example, even a public individual has a right to privacy and personal information under Irish law. Additionally, there are not the safe harbour defences to Data Protection law in Ireland as exist in the US such as in relation information previously in the public domain or for government security purposes. So, if you have people going through your stuff and personal information or documents, you can sue for an injunction compelling return of any data they hold and preventing publication of that material. Torts or civil wrongs of personal privacy, defamation, appropriation of personality, breach of confidence and a statutory tort of breach of statutory duty under the Data Protection Acts will all both compel return of the information and prevent publication. So your protection is wide. Get yourself a solicitor and issue proceedings tot deal with the matter. Whilst you can see if they will comply voluntarily, it is best to get a court order in place to prevent dissemination of the information, even informally.