Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I was wanted in relation to the theft of a

Customer Question

I was wanted for questioning in relation to the theft of a purse and the use of a bank debit card at an ATM (although there was no cash taken as none was in the account)
THe ourse was recovered from my flat after being found by my gielfriend at the time
This happened in late 2002 when I lived in Tipperary. I left Ireland in May 2003 and have never been charged in relation to this matter.
My questions are -
Can I still be questioned and /or charged with this if I return to Ireland to attend a court hearing for a matter relating to my son?
For such a matter would the court seek to remand me as a flight risk?
Could I find out by simply contacting the Garda station concerned?
Regards
Gary Farquhar
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, theft is an indictable offence and you could well be charged or questioned on it. It will be a matter for the State to object to your bail if they feel you are a flight risk and a judge to decided whether to grant you bail or not and if so, at what recognissance. You could certainly contact the investigating Garda to see if the file is still open and being actively investigated