How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2245
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband and I would like to give our house (in County

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I would like to give our house (in County Clare, Republic of Ireland) to our 19 year old son. My ex-husband still lives in the house - and would continue to do so - but is happy for it to be gifted to our son. Would this be legal? If so are there any costs involved and how would the transfer be effected?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is possible. You can gift the property to your son with your ex spouse retaining a right of residence in the property for the remainder of his life. The costs of such a transfer would be in the region of €1,500.00 to €2000.00. You will both need separated legal representation in relation to the transaction. You should contact solicitors in the local area to assist you