Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I received a few weeks ago a letter from Getty Images

Customer Question

I live in Switzerland and I received a few weeks ago a letter and email from Getty Images for apparently using one of their pictures without license on my website, which promotes my personal training business. The website was designed by a friend in Guatemala who said he took the picture from a free site but cannot find the source anymore. Getty is asking me for CHF 1120. When I check their website that is the cost for approx one year's use of the picture on website. I don't understand who will pay such exorbitant sums for pictures when you can find similar for much cheaper. We took the picture down straight away and apologised for the mistake. They sent us the bill and are offering 12 stock credits worth 69 pounds. Can I try to negotiate for a lesser fee? I read that in court I could be asked to pay the fair value of the photo and that could be much less that what they are demanding. This is a sole ownership business which has just started and has no stable customers yet. Any advice would be well appreciated.

Category: Republic of Ireland Law