How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2255
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would just like to ask a question that I hope you may be

Customer Question

I would just like to ask a question that I hope you may be able to answer for me.
My sister and I live in the family home it was left to us by our parents and it was left in joint ownership..
My sister does not want to sell the house, but I am finding the two of us living together is becoming increasingly stressful, and I would like to know how do I go about signing the house over to my sister so that she is the sole owner...
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanking you
Mary Geraghty
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 2 years ago.
If you simply wish to transfer it into your sister's sole name there is no problem. Any solicitor will be in a position to prepare the relevant paperwork. However you will note there will be stamp duty on the transfer for your sister of 1% of half the value of the house. Also she maybe liable to Capital acquisitions Tax on the gift from you.
If you want to release your money from the property, you will now under the Land and Conveyancing Reform Act have apply to the courts for partition of the property