Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

I would just like to ask a question that I hope you may be…

Customer Question
I would just like to...
I would just like to ask a question that I hope you may be able to answer for me.
My sister and I live in the family home it was left to us by our parents and it was left in joint ownership..
My sister does not want to sell the house, but I am finding the two of us living together is becoming increasingly stressful, and I would like to know how do I go about signing the house over to my sister so that she is the sole owner...
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanking you
Regards
Mary Geraghty
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/9/2015
Solicitor: Ronan, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
If you simply wish to transfer it into your sister's sole name there is no problem. Any solicitor will be in a position to prepare the relevant paperwork. However you will note there will be stamp duty on the transfer for your sister of 1% of half the value of the house. Also she maybe liable to Capital acquisitions Tax on the gift from you.
If you want to release your money from the property, you will now under the Land and Conveyancing Reform Act have apply to the courts for partition of the property