Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

Ive just been suspended from work pending a disciplinary hearing…

Customer Question
Ive just been suspended from...
Ive just been suspended from work pending a disciplinary hearing on friday for work conduct. I was caught taking money from the company when confronted i admitted to it straight away. I was just wondering where do i go from here
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
6/3/2015
Solicitor: Ronan, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
It would important that you engage a solicitor as soon as possible. Unfortunately not only are you looking at get dismissed from work but the matter may well be pursued criminally by your employer for theft.
What you have done would amount to gross misconduct and will normally entitle your employer to summarily dismiss you. Firstly, you should ask a work colleague/Union rep to attend the disciplinary meeting with you. You should also review the disciplinary procedure that is in place for the company. This will normally be contained in your contract of employment/employee handbook.
Once you have reviewed same, ensure that your employer sticks rigidly to the procedure. If they fail to do so, there may be an argument for unfair dismissal for failing to comply with disciplinary procedure.
Your best scenario here is to be permit to leave the company and they employer to not pursue the matter criminally
Thank you for your help, i will contact a solicitor asap is there a certain type of solicitor i should contact i am based in cork ireland
Terence J O'Sullivan Solicitors in Cork