How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2244
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My niece has been on my care years. We have made

Customer Question

My niece has been on my care for fourteen years. We have made great progress towards adoption as bio mother had given verbal consent twice but is now on the verge of a section again and has backed off. My niece is in a legal limbo. Can myself and my husband apply for guardianship in Ireland and does this need mothers consent and will it cost us money
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can make an application in the District under the Guardian of Infants Act 1965 as amended by the The Family and Relationships Act 2015. Where you have day to day responsibility for a child for 12 months where no parent is exercising their guardianship responsibilities. Tulsa (The HSE) must be put on notice of this application and are entitled to express their view.
You can make this application yourself if you wish or you can engage a solicitor will charge approximately €600 to mnake the application for you