How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10591
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ex partner and father of my child who has been looking

Customer Question

I have an ex partner and father of my child who has been looking after our daughter, has gone through my computer and has stolen it. Probably to go through my personal things as he is jealous. I have had contact with the police about domestic violence issues with him in the past. We are now separated. What should i do? Is this illegal? Should i contact police?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. This taking of your computer and going through your personal effects is most definitely illegal and you should approach the police in relation to it. You can get an application for return of the computer and an order preventing continuing harassment of this nature from re occurring. Both can be granted to you upon the police making an application to court to prevent this harassment and any ongoing harassment. harassment of this nature is both a criminal offence and a civil wrong. So even if the police don't want to make the subject of criminal proceedings you can go to court and get a civil injunction ordering the return of the computer and preventing this person from ever harassing you in this way again. So see the police first and if that is not successful get yourself a solicitor and issue proceedings for harassment.