Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I sold a horse last November from Ireland, he was vetted

Customer Question

Hi I sold a horse last November from Ireland, he was vetted but not xrayed by a vet selected by the purchaser, he was passed as sound no issues. he since has competed in showjumping and eventing in the uk as recent as 2 May. yesterday i get a letter saying he is lame and they want a refund that they had him checked by a vet in the uk on 13 April as he wasn't performing as expected. vet says he is artrhritic from xray results and that it didnt just happen. we competd him all last season and 2013 and he was never lame. where do I stand legally thanks Eleanor
Submitted: 2 years ago via InBrief.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.
Please confirm that you are in the UK and that where the horse came from is not particularly relevant.
Are you a dealer?
Did you advertise the horse as being in A1 condition?
How old is the horse?
How much did you sell it for?
Any other background is particularly useful please. Thank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi

I'm in Ireland. Horse was in a competitions yard which would sell horses so possibly fall into dealer category.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi he was 7 when sold. Im in Ireland and he was sold from a competition yard which prob will be treated as a dealer. He wasn't advertised for sale they called looking for a specific horse which he fit the bill for. They paid €35000 for him. They were told in conversation that I had X-ray's done previously they were perfect. They selected a vet to examine him and choose not to X-ray him.

thank you. You have posted in UK law and situation may be different in the UK Ltd in Ireland. I will transfer it to the Republic of Ireland law category for you.